Skip to main content

Experimentation In Art

I feel bad because I have not posted anything in a while. So with the advent of 2013 I have decided to commit to posting on the blog regularly. Despite the non-blogging it has been a busy time... lots of art has been created. The time has been marked by much experimentation.

Experimentation can be a great thing. In years past I have been content with exploring the same limited subject matter: cityscapes, the figure, religious work. Once in a while I would do something else that I really enjoyed: an interior; a landscape. So the last few months I have been "bouncing around" a lot, and painting all sorts of different things, and trying new stuff. Why? Well, for no other reason then to branch out, and not be pigeonholed. Perhaps out of boredom too.... painting the same old thing gets old.

But my period of experimentation has basically lead me back to where I was before... or maybe even a more restricted place. I am now focusing entirely on sacred art. The experimentation was valuable in the sense that it helped me reacquaint myself with me and the art that I am supposed to do. Having lived for nine months without painting it has taken a year and a half to really begin to get back in the groove. The experimentation period was valuable if for no other reason for me to find myself artistically once more. And I was able to bring some new techniques and a clearer mind with me as well.

That indeed is the value of experimentation in whatever area of life we do it. It can open us up to new horizons... even, strangely, by returning us whence we came. On one hand the time may seem to be wasted. But on the other - and this was the case with me - it can be a time of artistic learning and growth... not one that results in the production of the "masterpiece" but nonetheless one that helps get you heading back in that direction.

The danger, of course, is that one can become lost down rabbit trails in experimentation (in art, or life), and get totally lost. Throughout this period I have been in prayer for God to show me what to do, and where to go. Were it not for that I feel that my experimentation would have perhaps lead me to eventually stop painting. But since I long ago committed my life and art to God, under the shadow of his wings I have been able to branch out a bit to see where he was leading me and come back stronger, not artistically (or spiritually) destroyed, from it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tale of Two Cathedrals

My wife and I just returned from vacation. While away, we got to visit the Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Baltimore, which had recently undergone a huge renovation. The last time I was there was to see the famous "Timla Relic" a few years ago. Unlike some horrific church renovations that have gone on in recent years that were supposedly meant to "update" the church, this restoration was meant to "return" the interior of the building to its original Federal-period design. And I must say that it a very tasteful renovation. They did a really good job. It looks almost like an old early Episcopal church - white washed interior, minimal designs, etc. The interior is now very bright because they removed the stained glass (dark blue Willet windows), and uncovered the original skylights in the dome. They kept all of the good stuff (the high altar, altar rails, etc.), and brought some cool old stuff back (e.g. the nation's first RC epi...

Priest, Psychologist, and Art Critic

The other night on EWTN, Fr. Benedict Groeschel proudly proclaimed that he had never stepped foot in the MoMA , because he couldn't stand looking at all of the ugliness and disorderliness of "modern art". Apparently while he was doing his doctorate in psychology he took some courses in art history and art criticism. I couldn't disagree more with what he said. There is definite order in modern art - it might just not be readily apparent with some artists. Certainly the early work of people like Frank Stella, Leger, and many others, is very rigid and ordered. There is even order in Jackson Pollock paintings as Francis Schaffer showed in How Shall We Then Live . And besides that MoMA has many other paintings in it that are done in a more traditional style that he would probably enjoy. For example, I believe now there is a show of Lucian Freud prints and Seurat drawings. So I don't know what father was talking about in that interview. It really makes no sense to me.