Skip to main content

Painting Religious Works

Any artist who is worth his salt should have a desire to sell his work. I have always had this, and by the mercies of God have been able to sell a lot of work over the years. With my recent foray into religious art, however, I am taking a risk as far as sales. go. Religious art simply does not sell as well as secular art. I learned this when I was in stained glass restoration. The works of Tiffany Studios that bring the highest amount at auction are, in order, landscape/secular works, angels, and then his religious works. The idea is that religious works appeal to fewer people, so they are worth less than the secular pieces. With that in mind it is rather scary to be painting only religious works now!

But while an artist should desire to sell his work, the inherent worth of his work, and of being an artist, does not revolve around sales. Like Alasdair MacIntyre suggests in After Virtue the good of certain acts is the execution of the act itself. It is its own reward. Art is one of these. That is something that I remind myself of lately. My current focus on religious works is good in itself, as would be painting some other subject that is equally less saleable. But then for me, painting religious works also has a teleological aspect to it, and take son a deeper significance. That is, it deepens my devotion to God. I do it as an act of devotion - art in general, and especially the religious works. That is ultimately worth more than any amount of money!

Comments

オテモヤン said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

A Tale of Two Cathedrals

My wife and I just returned from vacation. While away, we got to visit the Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Baltimore, which had recently undergone a huge renovation. The last time I was there was to see the famous "Timla Relic" a few years ago. Unlike some horrific church renovations that have gone on in recent years that were supposedly meant to "update" the church, this restoration was meant to "return" the interior of the building to its original Federal-period design. And I must say that it a very tasteful renovation. They did a really good job. It looks almost like an old early Episcopal church - white washed interior, minimal designs, etc. The interior is now very bright because they removed the stained glass (dark blue Willet windows), and uncovered the original skylights in the dome. They kept all of the good stuff (the high altar, altar rails, etc.), and brought some cool old stuff back (e.g. the nation's first RC epi...

Upcoming Show and a Transition

Please come out to the Liriodendron in Bel Air, Maryland July 12th - August 9th to see my art. I'll be showing religious works consisting of icons and oil paintings. Most of the oil paintings will be quite large. The icons will vary in size, the largest being about 2' x 2' the smallest being just a couple of inches. Ten years ago I had a show at the Liriodendron and it was a big success. At the time a nice article about me was written in the Baltimore Sun... specifically about my iconography, which I had just started doing. The main difference between the last show and the upcoming one is that the former had cityscapes in it, while this new one will not. Once this show is over I will likely be taking a break from painting religious works in oil. I'd like to delve into landscape painting and still life, which I haven't done for years. Not only do I find that subject matter interesting, I also would like to market my work to companies, and quite frankly most comp...