Skip to main content

No Religious Art

A friend with whom I have collaborated on some art projects before is going to be having a show at a Washington, DC gallery, and was told that the works we collaborated on could not be shown as "religion" is not permitted in the show. When he informed me of this I responded as follows:

"I am not surprised that work with religious themes is being banned by these facists. I was asked (twice) to participate in shows down here, but there was a similar ban, so I boycotted them. So much for "open minded" people. And there is usually no rhyme nor reason for such censorship. I could see, if you were doing a show in the West Bank or something why there might be certain stipulations like these, but to encounter this in the USA (and especially in DC), where churches, and synagogues, mosques, etc. are on every corner, and an established part of everyday life, is really quite strange. Such bans actually display a great deal of cultural ignorance and stupidity, especially when they come from institutions that are seeking to be "relevant". Religion has formed our culture, continues to do so, and will always do so for millions of people from all walks of life. By attempting to take religion out of the public square in this and similar ways, these institutions show themselves to be special interest cliques that are completely out of touch with average people around the country and world."

Comments

KayKay said…
I'm really not surprised by these bans. People are trying so desperately to cling to anything other than Christ for direction, fulfillment, and comfort. Engaging in religion means that you must ultimately agree that you are not the center of the universe and that there is concrete truth, and for the most part people, even many self-proclaimed Christians, don't want tie themselves down to that. I guess it just doesn't "feel good" to them, we are living in an overwhelmingly hedonistic culture.

Also, there are those who argue that anyone who would cling to religion is simple minded. I've certainly been accused of being so when explaining my faith. Since art is supposed to elevate the mind as well as the senses, then the facilitators of these shows might feel that work of a religious nature is below their intellectual standard. I know I don't need to tell you that they, of course, would be sadly mistaken.

Ok, that's my two cents.
Robin Pedrero said…
For you or else anyone interested I am on a committee for the Arts Worship Sabbath's exhibition, "Love Works" which will be in downtown Orlando Fl at the City Arts Factory. We welcome religious themes.
Thanks for the heads up, RMP.

Mary Kay, thanks for your two cents. Good insight. It's funny that their intellectual standard is not even intellectual when it all comes down to it.

Popular posts from this blog

A Tale of Two Cathedrals

My wife and I just returned from vacation. While away, we got to visit the Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Baltimore, which had recently undergone a huge renovation. The last time I was there was to see the famous "Timla Relic" a few years ago. Unlike some horrific church renovations that have gone on in recent years that were supposedly meant to "update" the church, this restoration was meant to "return" the interior of the building to its original Federal-period design. And I must say that it a very tasteful renovation. They did a really good job. It looks almost like an old early Episcopal church - white washed interior, minimal designs, etc. The interior is now very bright because they removed the stained glass (dark blue Willet windows), and uncovered the original skylights in the dome. They kept all of the good stuff (the high altar, altar rails, etc.), and brought some cool old stuff back (e.g. the nation's first RC epi...

Upcoming Show and a Transition

Please come out to the Liriodendron in Bel Air, Maryland July 12th - August 9th to see my art. I'll be showing religious works consisting of icons and oil paintings. Most of the oil paintings will be quite large. The icons will vary in size, the largest being about 2' x 2' the smallest being just a couple of inches. Ten years ago I had a show at the Liriodendron and it was a big success. At the time a nice article about me was written in the Baltimore Sun... specifically about my iconography, which I had just started doing. The main difference between the last show and the upcoming one is that the former had cityscapes in it, while this new one will not. Once this show is over I will likely be taking a break from painting religious works in oil. I'd like to delve into landscape painting and still life, which I haven't done for years. Not only do I find that subject matter interesting, I also would like to market my work to companies, and quite frankly most comp...