Skip to main content

Technology in Service of Art

I have decided that need to overhaul how I update my art website. Keeping that thing current and looking halfway decent (at best) is tons of work. It takes away gobs of time from painting and promoting my art. But it has to be done, as it is the best way of promoting my work. I only have so much time to devote to keeping that dinosaur updated, so I have to do it in the most time effective manner possible. The problem is that I don't know how to do it. Maybe my wife can offer some suggestions as to how to streamline the process.

Being an artist is not easy. A lot of people think it is only about creating the work, but there is so much more that you have to do. You have to conceive the work, do studies and prep, buy supplies, create it, photograph it, store it, promote it, schlep it around to shows, maintain websites, and on, and on, and on. Each of those steps have a million little steps involved in them. Promoting your work and trying to get shows, for example, is incredibly time consuming, as you have to research possibilities, prepare packages of information, pay to apply for shows, and more. I suppose when (if) you become famous you can have "your people" do those things for you, or you can pay a web designer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tale of Two Cathedrals

My wife and I just returned from vacation. While away, we got to visit the Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Baltimore, which had recently undergone a huge renovation. The last time I was there was to see the famous "Timla Relic" a few years ago. Unlike some horrific church renovations that have gone on in recent years that were supposedly meant to "update" the church, this restoration was meant to "return" the interior of the building to its original Federal-period design. And I must say that it a very tasteful renovation. They did a really good job. It looks almost like an old early Episcopal church - white washed interior, minimal designs, etc. The interior is now very bright because they removed the stained glass (dark blue Willet windows), and uncovered the original skylights in the dome. They kept all of the good stuff (the high altar, altar rails, etc.), and brought some cool old stuff back (e.g. the nation's first RC epi...

Priest, Psychologist, and Art Critic

The other night on EWTN, Fr. Benedict Groeschel proudly proclaimed that he had never stepped foot in the MoMA , because he couldn't stand looking at all of the ugliness and disorderliness of "modern art". Apparently while he was doing his doctorate in psychology he took some courses in art history and art criticism. I couldn't disagree more with what he said. There is definite order in modern art - it might just not be readily apparent with some artists. Certainly the early work of people like Frank Stella, Leger, and many others, is very rigid and ordered. There is even order in Jackson Pollock paintings as Francis Schaffer showed in How Shall We Then Live . And besides that MoMA has many other paintings in it that are done in a more traditional style that he would probably enjoy. For example, I believe now there is a show of Lucian Freud prints and Seurat drawings. So I don't know what father was talking about in that interview. It really makes no sense to me.